Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

I've been thinking about changes recently. Only because a lot of them are going on in my life right now.

This recent bout of thinking about changes was brought on Friday. I told all of my classes that I wasn't returning next year to teach at Arts Academy. Because my plan (internet announcement I guess) is to make that move to New York and pursue playwrighting in a proper way (time table for that big move is currently under investigation.)

The kids were sort of surprised, and a few of them looked clearly disappointed and sad about it. And in each class, I had this moment where I just wanted to say, 'Ha ha! Just kidding. I take it back. No big change in life gonna happen here. Because I just felt the bottom drop out of my stomach, so no way sir. Not gonna do this FOR REAL!"

Because the second I said I wasnt' coming back, I could feel the pressure of everything that was coming after it rush at me. It's one thing to say you're gonna do something --- it's another thing to do it. And moving forward, leaving somethign behind, something you really enjoyed doing... is hard.

But move forward, I will.

I think change is hard so when we do it, we are always aware of the magnitude of what we're doing. So we don't make these kinds of life changes lightly.

Blah. Enough pseudo-philosophical blather. On with the day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Trefor said...

When I moved out to Edmonton I didn't realise how big a change it really was until after I had moved here...I was working at the job I had moved out here for...and it just...hit me! It was a move of 5 hours from my family...essentially starting a new life...and I kinda...lost it for a few hours...

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have experience with what you're going through. In a lot of ways, it's kind of like a death. You will (and should) certainly begin to take stock of all you've done in Louisiana, and make peace with the fact that it's for the best. At least Casey isn't young like my siblings were - that was tough.

Thanks for the pics.
- TFH

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when are you moving to new york? i would like to read all the stuff i've missed if i could. i'm kicking myself for missing the play you just did at cite. i'm out of the loop.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home